Thursday, January 11, 2007

With a grain of salt

My Princeton professor said
Take it with a grain of salt
Of what you read or hear

This iconoclastic statement
Amazed me
Destroyed my inner assurance
Of the facts,
Of the truths
Of Gods
Of science
Of the concept of heaven and hell
Suddenly every thing was amorphous


For me
Philosophers
Scientists
Poets
Were living gods
What they say was the truth
To be believed and revered
Not questioned

Now
As l listened to him
As I followed him
As I read the methods they used
And analyzed their’s data myself
Before reading what they think it means
My perception of me and my world
About the inner working of the cells and mind
All got struck by a fly swatter
So many theories of creation after all.

My professor was right
Every one’s inference might be the fact
But check it out yourself.
Trust but verify.


********************
imagene
January 11, 2007

No comments: